Monday, November 20, 2006

Neil Patrick Harris is gay, Barney Stinson is straight


OK, so the former Doogie Howser came out and announced he is gay. Given all the gay actors in theatre and film, who would really care, right? Well, the issue seems to be that on his new show, the hilarious "How I Met Your Mother", Neil Patrick Harris plays Barney Stinson---the ultimate woman-hunting bachelor. In fact, it was his hilarious, over-the-top character that made the show into one of my new favorites. So I admit, when I heard Harris is gay, I was surprised. For some reason I had thought he was married (to a woman) and had kids.

Does it matter that Harris is gay, but plays the ultimate ladies man? NOPE. His character, Barney, is still the same crazy girl-chaser he always was. For those who don't know, actors are NOT the characters they play!! Eric McCormack who played (homosexual) Will on "Will & Grace" is in fact straight, and has a wife and kids. Guess what else I found out? Michael Dorn who played "Worf" on Star Trek... He's not actually a Klingon! I'm sorry, but it's true. And James Marsters, who played Spike on "Buffy The Vampire Slayer"... You guessed it: not actually a vampire. Actors create CHARACTERS for us to enjoy. If you enjoy the characters, does it matter what the actors who portray them do?

I just watched this week's episode of "How I Met Your Mother", and it was hysterical as always. I consider it to be the new "Friends"... And I mean that in a good way. CBS had an awesome idea, by having Barney (the character) have his own blog, that he sometimes refers to in the show. Check it out, it's hilarious!

1 Comments:

Blogger ruehllin said...

How I met Your Mother is one of my new favorite shows too! Granted, it doesn't fill the void left by Buffy and Angel, but at least it has Willow!

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home